Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design for the prevention of CUI/CUF on onshore refinery facilities 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

emxhps06

Materials
Sep 16, 2008
GB
A robust fabric maintenance programme is neccessary to mitigate corrosion under insulation (CUI) or corrosion under fireproofing of assests. This phase comes after the plant has been fired up.

For FEED phase, what are the parameters should I incorporate when designing for the prevent of CUI/CUF.
In other words
(a)what are the crucial key features should I be aware for vessels and piping for both high temperature and low temperature duties.

(b) are there specific designs should I avoid for vessels/piping and associates assets.

(c) when load-bearing insutlation is used. How do I determine which type of load-bearing insulation suitable for specific duties.

(d) is non-contact insulation system used for CUI/CUF prevention

Any input will be much appreciated especially site/field experience.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The simple answer is to adopt 'inherently safe design' principles and avoid insulation unless it is fully proven to be required.

If it is proven, then make sure that a qualified coating is selected to provide the corrosion control under the insulation, i.e. one that has demonstrated immersion performance at temperature. See the attached for further guidance.

For PFP, it depends what you pick. API Publication 2218 will run you through the pros and cons. If you go the intumescent route, take a look at TGD-11 here

(you will have to register to download)

Steve Jones
Materials & Corrosion Engineer

Thanks for your input..:)

Just one more question.

How would noise/vibration affect the integrity of the insulation?I can only assume this would loosen the hold of the insulation to the substrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back