Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Design Hour Factor (K) Calculation & peak hour traffic conversion ADT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RizAhmed

Civil/Environmental
Jul 24, 2011
AE
Greetings to all members,

I have pleasure to join the forum of traffic engineers.
A little intro of myself. My name is Rizwan and I am working in UAE in a consultancy as traffic engineer with 3 years experience. We won a project of design of an interchage (currently in concept design stage) and I am working on traffic study of the same. In this regard, i have following questions. I will appreciate the suggestions from all. Thanking all in advance.

Q-1: Any standard process to calculate Design Hour Factor (K) from existing traffic count data?

Q-2:I have a peak hour traffic volume of 12000 veh/lane on a freeway facililty in particular direction.Total lanes are 6. K factor is 0.082 (calculated using traffic volume in both directions)
How can we convert the peak hour traffic volume to daily 24 hour traffic volume? If I use the formula DDHV=ADT*K for ADT calcualtion, the resultant value of ADT looks very high.

I have attached an excel file for K-factors that I calculated from traffic count survey data for AM LT & PM peaks at a certain location on highway.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe that, very, very, very, very roughly, the peak hour (as opposed to 30th highest hour, etc.) is about 10% of the daily flow.

6 x 2000 = 12,000 Total PHF in 6 lanes
10 x 12,000 = 120,000 AADT

So in terms of order of magnitude I think you're OK.

The two thousand vehicles per lane in the peak hour is a fairly high starting point; in the UK that's approaching the figure for the maximum sustainable hourly throughput according to TA46/97 (and assuming 15% HGVs).

The rule of thumb for this area is peak hour volume is usually close to 11% of the daily traffic in urban areas, 15% in rural areas.

Your mileage (kilometerage?) may vary.

Maybe the tyranny of Murphy is the penalty for hubris. -

In Dubai I would expect a more attenuated peak hour. The best way to get meaningful data is to send someone to the intersection and do a 12 (or 15) hour count, but this probably isn't the time of year for that... especially not with Ramadan starting when your peak hour will probably be closer to midnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back