Design Mesh Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

raingal79

Chemical
Mar 27, 2003
SG
Hi all,

For waste water stream discharge from incinerator to open sea, i need to design a strainer to filter out the particles in waste water stream that comes from castable dropoff and also salt content in incinerator.

pls advise how should i determine the mesh size required and what's the typical size for waste water streams.

thks.

raingal79

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

raingal, Line size is dependant on flow volume with allowance for future expansion. As for mesh size this will be dependant on your allowable suspended solids discharge level and the particle sizes in the process stream. To get this info you'll need to pull a sample of the waste stream and have a lab analysis run that shows total solids level, particle count data from 5 to >80 microns in 10 micron increments, and calculated percentages within the 10 groups. You'll also need to know the waste stream flow rate, pressure and temp.

With this data you should then be able to properly size and spec. the strainer and or fliter for the application.

Hope this helps.
saxon

dear all,

regarding this subject i also have some query. this is about basket or bucket strainer with wire mesh.

if we go for higher mesh size (smaller screen opening), it is good for trapping all those particles. but, most mesh have very low allowable pressure drop. i'd seen few with only 30~60 mbar. this is too low and they are easily damaged if higher or sudden incoming pressure is introduced.

how to deal with this issue? go with two strainers (standby) or select mesh with higher allowable pressure drop?

appreciate some advice.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back