Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design method for Pipe Bolted Moment Splice with Internal bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiskertlugas

Structural
Sep 13, 2011
HU
Hi All,

I'm looking for a design method for a Monopole Pipe Bolted Moment Splice with Internal bolts.

See attached picture too.

getfile.aspx

I've found reference for Petersen, but I wonder if there's any other method, ar least this Petersen method is available somewhere? (It seems hard to obtain the original paper.)

Boldizsár Nagy, [28.07.16 11:59]
Petersen, Ch 1988, Stahlbau – Grundlagen der Berechnung und baulichen Ausbildung von
Stahlbauten, Vieweg-Verlag, Braunschweig, Germany

Boldizsár Nagy, [28.07.16 11:59]
Petersen, C.: Stahlbau (Steel Construction), 3. Edition: Vieweg-Verlag. Braunschweig
1997 (in German)

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Seems to me that the methods used for external bolts would still apply with just a slight modification to the lever arm. The bolt tension will still be dominated by prying action.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

You will have to use the Slip Critical rules for surface prep and primer/paint coatings. Thus why a bolted Moment is so rare when welding is an option.

It's just a regular flange bolted analysis which will include any prying action. Nothing really special. We've used these kind of flanges on all of our tapered flag poles. I think that Shigley has some comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back