Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Design method for rock bolts in shear 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mte12

Structural
Mar 1, 2022
AU
For a structure supported on rock, which experiences shear load only, is there a design method available for design of rock bolts.
The steel structure would be supported on either pedestals or a slab on top of the rock.

All of the literature that I've come across so far only deals with tension in bolts.

One of the mechanisms I came across (I think) was for preload in rock anchor that compressed the rock at surface and this may have been the mechanism for resisting shear. But I think preload was no different to snug or TB specification for a column base plate or structural steel.

I know that rock bolts are used on underground rock faces, to prevent a shear failure in the rock. But the shear load in this instance seems to me, to be well inside the rock face.

Are there any tips to start with.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How far are you embedding your bolts? Do you have a typical strength value of the rock? If it is strong rock then your bolt is going to shear.

Thanks for responses.

azcats, I believe bolt orientation is typically normal to face.

human909, the embedment length is of the order of 1m to 2m, Geotechnical Strength Index is 1, Young's Modulus 15GPa.

I've never heard about a Geotechnical Strength Index or Geological Strength index but I brief google suggests 1 is very low strength. The 1-2m embedment would also indicate very low strength unless your bolts are massive.

Shear strength would likely be very unpredictable as surface crushing would have a good chance of occuring putting your bolt into bending.

You really should be chatting to your geotechnical engineer on this one.

I've used rock anchors just a few times, so take the following with a grain of salt.

To get good shear values, you need a defined shear plane. Rock bolts are often used on rough/variable/unpredictable surfaces, so applying shear right at the rock face is a dicey assumption.

Thanks for the additional comments.

It is difficult to come up to speed on this as there is very little prescriptive information out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back