Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design of aluminum base plate and its connection to the column

Status
Not open for further replies.

SM89

Civil/Environmental
Jul 2, 2013
US
Hi,
I want to design an aluminum base plate for aluminum column of size 4"x4". Can i use the anchor rods specified in the AISC manual for steel, will that be sufficient?.
The base plate is supposed to be on a concrete footing, so what measures should i take in order to avoid/prevent corrosion?

I don't have aluminum design manual, if someone can share the pdf or the link for the manual it ll be a great help.

Thanks,
Swaminathan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I generally use stainless steel anchors for aluminum. Post installed anchors will probably be sufficient considering your column size.

There are far too many considerations in the Aluminum Design Manual to post here and since that is a copyrighted document it cannot and should not be posted. You'll have to buy the manual.

Keep in mind that your column will be welded to the baseplate so the allowable stresses within one inch of the weld will be greatly reduced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back