Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design of an advanced gearing mechanism

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRibei

Mechanical
Mar 8, 2019
CH
Hi,

I have been asked to improve the accuracy of a gear system that control angle blades to perform with a micro compressor.

In the actual automated mechanism,blade adjustment works via a planetary gear. The 6 blades are connected via a crown gear.
One of the satellite gears is connected to a stepper motor, driving the assembly.

Here the problem, is the backlash between the gear wheels and the crown gear that results in large position tolerances.

I'm thinking in design a cycloid/harmonic gear train or a dual path gear train in order to increase the thickness of teeth in contact and with that
reduce the clearance between tooth space.

The problem is that cycloidal drive and the current bevel system are different in terms of orientation of the shafts ( Cycloidal is parallel and bevel is perpendicular). So I would like to know if anyone has better a solution to reduce backlash of bevel gears/crown gear system. Maybe a Spiroyd Gear System?

Any leads would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is there are reason you're not holding these angles using servomotors that are specifically designed for minimal backlash?

I'm sure there are answers but I would exhaust commercial options first and enjoy the fruits of their intellectual labor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back