Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design of drainage structures 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

msesi

Materials
May 15, 2010
EU
I,m currently involved in the design of drainage structure(lined ditches,unlined ditches,scour checks etc)In pricniple the major items to consider is the gradient of the ditch and type of soil.Unfortunately I don't have any literature on this with me.Please is there any on who know literature to refer during this design???

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

historic flows, vegitation, flow regime/drainage basin, topography... if you are designing the ditch system itself or if you are designing a drainage structure (culvert, weir, whatever) then you only need the historic flows and velocity.

msesi;
Check out the Federal Highways Admin website. They have all types of engineering manuals on the design of ditches etc... Here are some of the manuals: HEC 11, 14, 15, 18 & 20. For small ditches and channels (Q<50cfs) use HEC15 it is a great reference and uses stable channel design based on different types of materials ranging from nonprotected to concrete lining. The website is:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back