Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design of gravel cover for 32" HDPE Pipeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

drakkkko

Mechanical
Feb 9, 2011
US
Hello,

I need to model in a suitable program, a continuous filling of gravel that goes over a HDPE pipeline about 2 mile long.

I have at least two ideas to do this modeling.
1- Design each node with a simple support and a guide with loose gravel stiffnes, spaced every 7 ft.
2- Modeling as buried pipe.

I already tried the second model (buried) and the problem it becomes very rigid and does not pass B31.3.

Can you please advise me?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

B31.3 is a piping code not pipeline and doesn't handle burial very well. Also 2 miles of PE pipe will be fairly stiff. And thermal expansion of PE is high compared to steel.

What are your process conditions?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Dear LittleInch,

Fluids : Brine
T°Min/MAx = -2 °F / 79° F
Pressure = 337 Kpa

I'm modeling a continuos berm (as you correct me in another question) of gravel. So buriel a reliable model ?...maybe taking some discontinuous gravel stiffnes is better model....

Drakkkko:
LittleInch will know the HDPE pipeline details much better than I do, but, I’ll bet that gravel is not the best soil material for bedding and immediate fill around HDPE pipe unless it is very carefully graded. I would think you don’t want any large rocks, boulders, or any sharp, crushed rock anywhere near HDPE pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back