Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design of leg supported tank 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTPE

Structural
Jun 17, 2002
US
Can someone tell me the correct design reference code for a LEG supported welded steel tank?

I have requested quotes from vendors indicating the tanks be designed and CERTIFIED per API 650 code. API 650 does not seem completely applicable for LEG supported tanks. Is it applicable enough to expect the design to conform to that code and still get the certification and name plate?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This sounds familiar- if it's the second post on the topic, I may be repeating myself.

You need to tell us what the application is.

The only "code" applicable to leg-supported tanks is going to be a building code. Unfortunately, building codes tend to be poorly written to address tanks.

The main industry standard that addresses leg-supported tanks is AWWA D100, for water storage tanks.

Industry standards are written for certain categories of the most commonly built tanks, and there are many tanks that simply don't fall into one of those categories. Leg-supported industrial tanks, molten sulfur tanks, bins and hoppers, etc., are all examples.

You can refer to one or another of those standards "to the extent applicable" and that is commonly done.

Beleive it or not, The best reference book I'v found for vessels on legs, is:

Pressure Vessel Handbook, by Eugene F. Megyesy.

This can be purchased thru "Pressure Vessel Publishing, inc." P. O. Box 35365, Tulsa, OK 74153.

The Books coverage of this issue is Excellent !

Hope this helps,

jodyed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back