Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

DESIGN OF ROUND HOLLOW CONCRETE BEAM WITH AXIAL LOADS

Status
Not open for further replies.

alumpkin

Structural
Sep 11, 2000
US
Looking for any type of classical methods to analyze a round hollow concrete beam with axial load. It is really a cantilever tower that is 858 feet for the outside diameter and 81 feet interior diameter that is 615 feet tall. Wall thickness is 24 inches. I have the applied moment, so I now want to find the required area of reinforcing steel.

Alan L. Lumpkin, MS, PE
Greenville, SC

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=b3c12ae1-6eee-4788-86d1-e00f950d1007&file=hollow_round_section.JPG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you mean 85 feet OD, not 858 ft!

For sectional capacity, and assuming the axial load is substantial, then construct a M-P column interaction diagram based upon some initially assumed reinforcing steel arrangements. Maybe consider some software like SP COLUMN Link

Tall tower @ 615 feet. Are there openings in the wall of the section?

My only comment is that the inner layer of vertical reinforcement will want to burst through the inner core and will not be adequately restrained/confined by any hoop reinforcement, since the hoop reinforcement itself would be acting in compression (and prone to buckling), so these may need to be tied back to the outer layer of vertical reinforcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back