Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design of Shear wall with negative axial load 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

VYordan

Structural
Dec 28, 2009
PR
Dear colleagues:
I have a shear wall that has a Pu of -75K in what seems to be the controlling LC and a relatively low shear and moment in the order of 36k and 260'K respectively. Theoretically, this Pu is less than 0.35 Po and the other conditions set forth in section 1921.6.6.4 of UBC 97 for not providing a BZ are met. The total vertical reinforcement provided can easily resist that pure tension.

The code states only that Pu has to be less or equal to 0.35 Po, it does not specifically mention -at least to my knowledge- that Pu cannot be negative.
How would you interpret this? Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In a tension member, the entire shear has to be resisted by steel reinforcing. Shear capacity of concrete is neglected when a member is subject to net tension.

I find it surprising that you have a shear wall in pure tension.

Is the shear wall one of the walls in a shear core? If this is the case then wall needs to be designed as a wall but the core system is designed as a very large box section. Tension is resisted by the reinforcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back