Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design of Tower- Full Filled Versus Partially Filled - Seismic Response

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orangel

Mechanical
Jan 22, 2006
VE
Dear Friends. I would like to know if I can design a Column in Compress, considerating "Operation Case" as partially filled with liquid over internal trays and up to bottom liquid only (as a tower normally operates in the real life).

This because, I have a designed and already manufactured tower, that was modelled in Compress, in 1999, completely filled with liquid, without any internal component as first approach. When it is analized according to UBC-97 (Original Seismic Design Code), there was not any trouble; however, at this time, I reviewing the design using ASCE 7-10(Actual Seismic Code)and it fails (Because Spectral Response according ASCE 7-10 is more greater than UBC-97), but if I consider the tower as it really operate (liquid levels over trays and up to maximum bottom liquid level instead of completelly filled as hidrostatic test), it does not fail.

So, I would like to know if this an acceptable practice.

Regards.

Eng. Orangel Roca
Caracas, Venezuela

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back