Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design Process Delivery

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidjnj

Civil/Environmental
Jan 13, 2003
US
I'm working for as a consultant on a project where the state department of transportation is looking at streamlining the project delivery process. The streamlining we're looking at is on the design side, not with construction. My question is if anybody has worked with/for a state DOT that has some "Best Practices" that you could share with regard to their processes. I'm particularly interested in the bridge/structures design aspect.

What are the typical steps taken from preliminary to final design and what approvals are needed? How have they streamlined their approval process with outside agencies (FHWA, environmental clearance, Army Corp, etc)? How have they streamlined their internal approval/review process.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As the consultant, it seems you would have little ability to streamline the permitting process or their internal review process. I would think that reducing the number of submittals would be the most efficient way to streamline the process.

A "teambuilding" meeting with the state's PM and reviewers during the scoping process is a practice that can help, especially if you eliminate a review submittal. Consider an upfront meeting to discuss what all the stakeholders/PM/reviewers see as critical/important issues, come up with a design approach everyone can agree to, then move ahead and skip a 30% submittal, for instance.

Good luck

I should probably clarify that our task, as a consultant to the DOT, is to look at their current practice and identify ways to streamline the process.

If anybody knows of a DOT that has gone through a similar process or knows of specific details of what the DOT did to streamline the design is what I'm looking for.

Thanks again.

I was involved a few years ago in helping our DOT imporve its construtability review process. I found Arizona DOT to have very inovative and well thought out programs. I would look to them for inspiration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back