Design shear resistance for bolts in slotted holes according to EN 1993-1-8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay_Chen

Structural
Aug 10, 2023
SG
Hi,

In EN 1993-1-8:2005, section 3.6.1(4), it's stated that "The design shear resistance Fv,Rd given in Table 3.4 should only be used where the bolts are used in holes with nominal clearances not exceeding those for normal holes as specified in 1.2.7 Reference Standards: Group 7."

I can't find clauses about the design shear resistance for bolts in slotted holes for bearing type bolted connection. Are slotted holes allowed to be used for bearing type bolted connection according to EN 1993-1-8? In ANSI/AISC 360-16, it's allowed as long as the slotted holes are normal to the direction of loadings.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The design process is largely similar, you just have different end/ edge distances and bearing allowances.
Ref EN1993-1-8:
Table 3.3 for end/ edge distances.
Table 3.4 for bearing allowance.

Hi centondollar,
I've searched "slotted", and only found clauses related to design slip resistance. Could you please tell me which clause you have found about the design shear resistance formula for bolts in slotted holes?

Hi MRob909,
Where's the design shear resistance formula for bolts in slotted holes?
Table 3.4 has clause about the bearing allowance for bolts in slotted holes. But it doesn't mean slotted holes are allowed for bearing type bolted connections. The bearing resistance might be just a requirement for bolted connection category C: Slip-resistant at ultimate limit state as specified in 3.4.1(1) c).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back