Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design Table losses link to properties in Solidworks 2005.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocky640

Mechanical
May 28, 2004
US
Hi, we just upgraded to 2005 this week. I am having an interesting problem with the design tables. We use design tables to control different configurations of parts. For example a bolt. We would use a design table to control the dimensions of the bolt but we also use it to control properties that show up in our BOM. In 2004 we could use a heading of $PRP@Weight and then "SW-Mass@@Default@MT230200.SLDASM" Would of given the correct weight of the part. These items would be linked. If the part changed size the weight was updated. Now, with 2005, I set it up the same way. It retrieves the current weight like it should. But the next time I open the design table the "SW-Mass@@Default@MT230200.SLDASM" is gone and the weight is displayed instead. The link is gone and if the part changes the weight stays the same. We do the same thing with the over all length, width, and thickness dimensions. Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yeah, dont upgrade without testing for at least 2 months. Give yourself ample time to find these issues before they arrise. Hindsight is always 20/20 unfortunately. A big problem with upgrading so fast is that alot of users in user groups and forums such as this do not upgrade so quickly and are unable to help solve problems. I learned this the hard way going from 99 to 01, since then I wait til I can do thorough testing and I try to wait for the first service pack to come out.

This is a prime Example of why you must fully test SW05 before upgrading to production with a new version of SW.

Have you read or went through the "What's new" yet? Maybe they listed a change in there that affects this situtaion that you're seeing. Also check the "Release Notes" under "Help" another key source to read between versions.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]

If you are in the SW Forum Check out the FAQ section

To make the Best of Eng-Tips Forums FAQ731-376

Use equations for those configuration specific document properties:
Instead of writing "SW-Mass@@Default@MT230200.SLDASM" in
the cell write: ="""SW-Mass@@Default@MT230200.SLDASM"""
Then the property stays in the design table.

I am using: =""""&"SW-Mass@@"&$A3&"@x.SLDASM"&"""" in the cell for easyly populating the other configurations.
The "x" in front of ".SLDASM" has no influence. Solidworks automatically equates the correct value for the document name.

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back