Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

design the rectangular flange with O-Ring sealing . how to calculate bolt spacing and number that

Status
Not open for further replies.

H B

Industrial
Jan 10, 2020
IR
design the rectangular flange with O-Ring sealing. I study Asme BPVC but my flange is rectangular and I use O-ring. could u pls explaine me about it.. thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

H B, if you closely study and understand flange design in, for example, ASME Sec VIII, Div 1, Appendix 2, you will see that the method can be extended to non-circular flanges.

Concepts are the same. The relevant dimensions, quantities, etc. only need to be translated from a circular to a non-circular geometry. A loose type flange will be simpler to adapt the methods to than an integral type flange

If your geometry is such that you have metal-to-metal contact outside the bolt pattern (ref: ASME Sec VIII, Div 1, Appendix Y) things get more complicated; I would not recommend this approach.

Reading in Taylor Forge Bulletin 502 if you can find it or any pressure vessel design handbook will be useful as well.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

PD 5500 Enquiry Case 133 has a comprehensive calculation method for rectangular bolted flanges.
From memory, it is an adaption from the method for circular flanges, as suggested by SnTMan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back