Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design Wormgear to support a certain load 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechTop

Mechanical
May 19, 2014
US
Does anyone know?Here is the design scenario.

I like to design a wormgear that support 50lbs load travel vertically.

Mech

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just buy a screwjack, like these:

Designing your own makes no sense unless you are a student, in which case you'd learn much more by buying a commercial unit, disassembling it, measuring it, and analyzing it to understand how it evolved to its extant form.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

That's about 1% of what is needed to create an answer.

Start by identifying interfaces and limitations. How large, how small, where supported, how attached, how driven, how resistant to being driven, how many cycles, how fast, how smoothly? What chemical environment, what temperatures, what amount of water or oil, what cost?

All,

I have two more questions.

1)How would you dertermine the speed of Wormwheel and Wormgear?

2)Here is the design scenario: The Antenna weighs 50 lbs attach to wormgear and verticall move and down.
How would you select the wormgear that can support that weight?

Thanks,

Mechie

Speed comes from the design requirement for travel time over the range of travel.
It would be helpful to have a drawing or sketch of what you want.
Fifty lb. is a fairly heavy antenna.
Does that include a tower?
Are you proposing to lift it in a straight line, or tip it from horizontal to vertical, or what?

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

From the American Gear Manufacturers Association, standard ANSI/AGMA 6034-B92 defines a rating procedure. 6022-C93 defines a design procedure. (ISO, DIN, and other organizations also provide such standards.) The process can be rather complicated, with many factors, including duty cycle, lubrication regime, design life, and more determining what design choices are best for your application.
You'll need to define your load in terms of torque at the worm wheel shaft. The torque then determines the load on the worm wheel teeth, depending upon contact ratio and pitch circle radius. Simple rating procedures define the limiting amount of tooth load based on limits of tooth strength (will the teeth break off?) and wear/pitting (will the tooth material wear away significantly before the expected life of the set is reached?) Required load will determine size of the tooth, required reduction ratio will determine diameter of the wheel, and the remainder of the design guidelines determine the worm geometry and distance between center lines of the two components.
The rotational speed of the worm wheel shaft will depend upon the speed with which you rotate the worm and the reduction ratio of the set (wheel teeth ÷ worm threads.)

I apologize for the excessive length of the post - the answer is complex and this type of question is EXACTLY what my everyday job is about. I hope I was at least a little bit helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back