Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Designing a boat dock and boat house 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Localeng

Structural
Jan 26, 2015
US
I have researched many web sites, design examples and code books, but really couldn't find any applicable and helpful references for designing a boat dock and boat house.

These structures will float on the water and move up and down depending on the water level, so flood load really doesn't affect these structures.
However, in flash flood, the water velocity will become faster and may affect these structure any way (but don't know exactly how and how much).

If you know of textbooks, design examples, web sites, or code requirement (if applicable) which will help on designing a boat dock and boat house, could you share the information?

Thank you so much in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have this: Link. Obviously, the scale is a little off.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Localeng - Does the photo below indicate the general scope of your project? There are floating dock systems that are manufactured, that may be one way to go if this is a residential sized application.

I doubt if you will be able to get too much published guidance on the engineering design of a floating dock / boathouse. They are very site specific with consideration for soil properties (if piling are used), depth of water, expected water level fluctuation, intended use, and the extreme conditions you pointed out. Often floating docks are not really designed, they are constructed by marine contractors who have experience with what is satisfactory in their area.

9336704c680f9397953fa4756a58b30a.jpg

[idea]
[r2d2]

I will say that is a really cool dock though, as for engineering one I wouldn't know where to start. When I used to live in Mukilteo WA, the floating docks down by the light house were fun to stand on during a windy day and the waves would throw them around quite a bit, kind of like riding a bucking bronco. The wind and dynamics of wave action would probably play into any design that is an ocean side dock, small lakes probably wouldn't have serious wave action.

A confused student is a good student.
Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, PE

Here in the Portland area we have quite a few floating home communities. I've done some design work for pier replacements and home anchorage.

Current can definitely influence the design if you're in a river. Around here if you design for a 100 year flood event, current velocity can be on the order of 6 ft/sec. AASHTO 3.7.3.2 has a section on stream loading that you can apply to the floats / submerged portion of the structure.

The City of Portland has it's own code related to floating structures (Title 28). This may at least give you some general guidance:

Oldcastle designed a concrete floating dock here in San Diego (the first handicap access dock in the country). Wave action destroyed it in less than a year. It failed at the connections between floating sections. Waves are relentless.

I would recommend google search design of piers and wharves. ASCE and UFC has several documents that may be a good starting place. Pile Buck International offers some marine construction/design guide books that may also be helpful.

I agree with SlideRuleEra. I've worked for numerous coastal and marine consulting firms, and typical industry practice is to leave floating dock design to the manufacturers since these are proprietary systems. Waves, currents and ice can induce tremendous loads in addition to mooring and berthing loads, but it's the details (e.g. connections, mooring hardware) that make or break it.

KootK
Thank you for the link and the reference book.

SlideRuleEra
Thank you for the photo and advice.
My dock and house are a lot different than the photo.
I was thinking of using pile system with pile rollers, so the structures are allowed to move up and down according to water elevation changes. However, the piles can't be drilled into bedrock, but just sit on the bedrock, so those piles don't have tension capacity. This meant when the dock is lifted, piles can be pulled out because of no tension capacity.
I am collecting design factors under extreme conditions now, that's why I posted here and begged idea of other engineers.

medeek
The site is not at ocean, there's no wave action. However, flash flood makes big impact on the design I believe. Thanks for your input.

cessna98j
Thank you so much for the link and information.
I'm still reading the web link and AASHTO, and they shall be very helpful to my design.
100yr flood average design velocity here is 6.8 ft/sec, so here's a little bit higher than there.
Thank you again!

BUGGAR
Fortunately, these structures will be floating on river, not ocean. I may not think of wave action, but water load (AASHTO) seems big enough to consider very carefully.
Thanks for your input.

shepherd
The site is not at ocean, but river.
However, any information can be helpful to me, so very thanks to your input.

cancmm
One of big scopes of this design is connection design.
All connections have to survive after all applicable loads.
Thank you for the input.

boo1
Playswow
Wahoo docks has very good presentation of anchoring systems and other information.
Thank you so much for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back