Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Designing a PCI/VME Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

swb1

Electrical
Jan 14, 2006
US
Hi,

Anyone out there have any experience with VME bridges?? I would like to design a PCI to VME bridge using IP Cores in an FPGA device. Looking for the knowledgeable to chime in and give a noobie some tips and things to look out for.

Thanks,

swb1

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Look out for the feelings of wanting to swallowing a gun barrel. Stay off bridges and other high places.

That aside, have you looked at the different companies offerings? This is not something you want do from scratch, I don't believe. I would guess someone else has already done it. You want to leverage off that.

Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.-

I know about Tundra and we didn't want to tie ourselves to a manufacturer. Hence we wanted to use a VME Core and PCI Core within an FPGA and stitch them together.

swb1

See what Xilinx, Altera, et. al. have to offer for IP cores... i was surprised at how many offerings they had free for the taking last time I looked. If they don't have anything for free, I'm sure they'll have a core optimized for their particular chip made by some 3rd party they could hook you up with.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Hiya-

The VME bus is a pretty straightforward memory mapped device. If you can find an IP PCI core, you have most of the battle done. By limiting the number of different transactions to gear them towards I/O operations, you can carve a lot of the FPGA requirements down.

No, I don't have any designs I can pass along. This was all done as "work for hire" and I don't have the rights to them.
Sorry.

Cheers,

Rich S.

Anyone familiar with how PPMC Monarch vs. Non Monarch mode works?? Our PMC Card will be interfacing with a processor PPMC card, which is requiring our card to run in Non Monarch mode.

swb1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back