Designing an L beam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redacted

Structural
Mar 12, 2016
BM
Hi there,

I am trying to design an L beam walkway but am a bit confused as I haven't designed a flange beam before. I have been using the eurocodes to design the L beam as shown in the attached calc sheet and sketch. However, I am unsure if after designing the L beam do I now need to go ahead and design the slab for bending, spanning one way between the L beams (as if it was a flat slab)? Or was the slab already incorporated in the l beam design and therefore does not need any reinforcement, since it was in the compression zone of the beam?

The length of the slab is 5300mm and width is 2223mm.

Please take a look at the calc sheet and the sketch. Any advice would be appreciated.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=9cf3ddea-2d1f-47af-b0a8-ee2ef012d46d&file=Eng-Tips_reduced.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You do still need to design the slab to span between beams.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

How do you mean? when you say you have design beam as L-Beam and if you have considered L-Part as half of slab then ofc you dont need to design but i am not sure if you can do that? as in this case its quite simple u need to design beam as rectangle and design slab as simply supported thats all.
why complicating it with introducing L-Shape?

Regards,

amaidj,

RStars is not complicating it. Normal practice is to pour T beams or L beams together with the slab. For positive moment, the flange of the beam may be used to resist compression. The code stipulates the permissible width of flange to be used in either case. This shifts the compression block up and permits the use of less positive reinforcement. However, it is still necessary to reinforce the slab to span between beams.

BA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back