Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Designing Key for a concrete retaining wall 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

XinLok

Civil/Environmental
Oct 22, 2019
QA
I am designing the Key for a concrete retaining wall based on Passive lateral force as per below sketch:

Screen_Shot_2020-04-22_at_6.16.21_PM_a4c16y.png

Is that right?

But what about the active lateral force produced by soil above heel at ground surface?
How can I be sure that this force will not detach the key from the base as I am not including it in designing the Key?

Screen_Shot_2020-04-22_at_6.23.25_PM_thmzht.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The state of soil under tail slab is uncertain, thus it is usually conservatively ignored. Note that the critical shear plane is at the interface of base slab and soil, and the design shear force of the key equal to the sum of horizontal forces minus the sum of vertical forces times friction coefficient. Both forces (H & V) are calculated with respect to the critical shear plane.

The passive force will be far in excess of the active, and would reduce the overall design load if you were to account for it. So in my opinion, if you are designing the key as a cantilevered beam with only the passive pressure, then you're being conservative but correct. That is how I would design it as well.

I think the sketch was not drawn to-scale, the cyan area seems to indicate that, if the development length exceeds the preliminary key length (selected to satisfy force equilibrium), than you have to extend the key to ensure adequate bar development length. By doing so, you will need to re-calculate the passive force with reference to the new key base (bottom of the cyan block). I don't think it is a good way to handle this situation, rather, you shall try select a smaller bar with closer spacing, thus A[sub]s[/sub] remains the same with shorter Ld requirement. Make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back