Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Designing Slab on Grades

Status
Not open for further replies.

arh13p

Agricultural
Mar 25, 2009
US
Has anyone designed slabs for concrete thickness using the Portland Cement Association "Concrete Floors on Ground" method? The design charts only go up to an effect contact area of 100 sq. inches for tire loads. I was wondering what to do for larger equipement with much larger tires and lower pressures that result in a much larger effect contact area to design my concrete slab thickness. Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check out ACI-360R-10 "Guide to Design of Slabs-on-Ground." I'm using it for a current project that will have a CAT TL943C Telehandler driving over my pretty concrete slabs. :)

You might also want to get a copy of Army TM 5-809-12 (1987) "Concrete Floor Slabs on Grade Subjected to Heavy Loads." I just found this and haven't read it yet but it looks like good information.

==========
"Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?"
--Winston S. Churchill

Why not, too, consider looking in a concrete pavement book - Yoder and Witczak for example . . . Don't know how "large" your loads are but they have procedures for loadings of large airplanes on airfields. . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back