Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Designstar gap elements

Status
Not open for further replies.

dozer

Structural
Apr 9, 2001
US
Has anybody modeled anything in Designstar 4.0 with components that have an initial gap, but will close with loading? I've tried numerous times with no luck. I've talked to technical support and got the supposedly correct settings but it still didn't work.

To give an example, I modeled a 1" diameter pin in a 1.0625" hole. When I look at the deformed shape the pin has moved through the material surrounding the hole. No, it's not a scaling problem, it's wrong.

I think it's a bug but hopefully somebody can prove otherwise. Speaking of bugs (maybe this should be another thread), does anybody know where the Designstar bugs are documented?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi!

I am not a Designstar user.

Your promblem is a contact problem with an initial gap. You will need to know if Designstar can actually solve such problems first before going any further.

I hope this helps.

I would recommend going through the tutorials available in DesignSTAR regarding contact problems. That should help you out in learning how to correctly implement contacts in DS.

Thanks Joe. Just to let everyone know. Modeling the contact as surface to surface rather than node to node was the key. When the mesh between the two contacting surfaces doesn't match, surface to surface is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back