Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Desperately Need a Sketching Program!

Status
Not open for further replies.

umrce

Structural
Jun 14, 2011
US
I do structural engineering and we regularly use a program called Tedds (by Tekla) that lets you perform calculations in Microsoft Word. My biggest complaint is that it doesn't have the ability to do digital sketches to support the calculations and drawing in Word is exhausting. If I really need to I'll sketch something in AutoCAD but that gets time-consuming as well. What I'm looking for is a simple sketching program that will let me draw engineering type sketches (free body diagrams, loading patterns) that I can then copy and paste into Word.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If using a Pen/Tablet:
Autodesk Sketchbook - Krita - MyPaint -
If using Mouse and Keyboard:
Inkscape - LibreOffice - Draw application from the suite - GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP) -
(All of the above are free)

My Personal Open Source Structural Applications:

Open Source Structural GitHub Group:

Bluebeam and then screenshot or print as a PDF (or maybe you can do images as well). It has a snap function, relatively to scale, some easy pre-made shapes, hatching, colour coding, and good text control.

I have also used Draftsight up to beginning of this year when it was no longer free.
I now have switched to Nanocad. The basic version is free.
It works just like Autocad / Draftsight.

Regards,
Rob

umrce:
Which one did you settle on?

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back