Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

detailed structural drawings for wood structures - education purpose 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supun93

Structural
Nov 28, 2019
LK
HI.I have been working on wood framing structural designs in California for a while. I would like to find if there is a place to learn online about drafting wood structural drawings, and i would really like to find detailed structural drawings of 1 storey,2 storey buildings to refer. I'm hoping to build a structural detail database so i can use it whenever needed. Can anyone please share me some structural drawings or any method to take course on drafting .Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The problem with wood is how regional it is. Looks like you're in Sri Lanka. People in California don't necessarily build wood houses the way we do here in Virginia. Your best bet is to speak with other engineers in your area to develop this. If you start introducing American wood construction details (that are based on a particular commodities production and supply chain as well as engineering and past experience) in Sri Lanka, you may end up out of business.

I could also be way off. I know essentially nothing about building in Sri Lanka other than the fact that your buildings have to obey the same laws of physics.

As for sharing my detail library - absolutely not. I enjoy helping on these forums, but my detail library is about the closest thing my company has to a valuable asset and I'm not going to post it online for free.

phamENG: I feel you're selling yourself short. Your firm may lack tangible assets but your human capital / intangible assets are through the roof!

Also, I agree. Local building practices govern design in a non-trivial way and so any useful warehouse of details will necessarily be locale governed. That is not only true for the details you create but also for which ones you show. For example, in Canada I might assume a builder knows XYZ (because they do it on every job) and therefore not detail it (we dont detail everything after all). But where you hail from XYZ might be done with less frequency and so a detail would be required if you wanted to be assured the builder does it (and even then...).

In terms of general drafting a class on AutoCAD would be probably most beneficial. They typically go through generic residential structures which would give you some experience with that.

CWB (W47.1) Div 1 Fabricator
Temporary Works Design

The Canadian Wood Council CMHC used to have a publication on wood framing (Regional) that was freely available. I'll see if I can dig up my copy. It has lots of detail information.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Enable - you are too kind. Thank you.

dik - that reminds me, there may be a free version of a similar US document....yep. Here it is. 2018 Wood Frame Construction Manual.

What I said still applies - these are common construction details in the US, and even here not everyone does it the same way. Compare these to local building practices - or at least discuss it with a builder or two - before you start using them in design drawings.

It was the CMHC document, thanks.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back