Detailing of Complicated roof as shown in attached image

Status
Not open for further replies.

LGS555

Structural
Jan 1, 2019
AU
Hi,

I have more than 5 years experience working as design engineer. Most of the times I came across flat or maximum gable roof.
This time I have to work on a bit complicated roof shape as shown in attached image using cold formed steel. I am facing difficulty in visualizing the shape of the trusses at different points. Can anyone help me in identifying the truss shapes step by step. Or atleast examples of junction of valleys, hips and ridges. Or can recommend some online material to visualize this sort of roof.
There are options in the software to generate the roof shapes but for generating roof trusses I have to first make plan on paper.
Any help will be really appreciated.

Thanks

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=ecaf6aa2-8721-48b3-805b-af095b80bf33&file=complicated_roof.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Obviously based on the fact that the external hips are equally subdividing the total angle you are dealing with the exterior around the perimeter that is a constant roof slope perpendicular to the exterior roof edges. Similar for the inside depressed area, all perpendicular to the platform, it's just twisted in plan, so the ridge lines are not flat. Because of this each truss will be different. Identify the RL's at the ridges based on the roof slopes and distance from the perimeter. Then develop sections at the truss lines, truss shape will naturally fall out of thi,but every truss is going to be different. It would be much simpler if the platform was able to be parralel to the roof edges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back