Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

detailing sloped piping 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KimBellingrath

Mechanical
May 14, 2003
US
We are having some hot debates here pertaining to detailing piping drawings. When you show a pipe that slopes into or out of the paper, you can only show the 'flat' dimension on the drawing (east-west, let's say). This does not show the 'true length' because you still have to trig this out by using the 'work points'. How do you explain this on the drawing?
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unless you have a lot of piping or the slope is extreme, the difference in length is not going to be that much. If it is going to mean anything, you can use a profile drawing, which shows elevation and travel distance.

From the plan view, you will know when the pipe changes direction. The profile follows the piping, but rotates so that it is always looking perpendicular to the pipe.

This should give you both the flat "plan" view, but also allow you to see the true length.

Or, for a simpler approach, just list the true length of the pipe and the slope on the plan view. I have seen that done as well.

Most piping fabricators expect to be supplied with isometrics. For sloping lines the axis coordinate lengths and true length for cutting would be shown, in addition to work points.

I am working on a pharma plant in which all ... yes all lines slope. Thank heavens for 3D CAD.

...I would treat it like I do underground drain piping! You normally give a coordinate or dimensions at/to each "event" (branch, turn, or what have you) and call out the slope. That would give enough information so that any interested parties could calculate the "true length" on any length of pipe. Any "IF" more information is required, then as most here have indicated, I would have isometric dwg.(s) to cover that issue. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back