Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Detectable Marker Tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vadoo

Civil/Environmental
Jan 23, 2004
CA
Greetings:

When it comes to using a detectable maker tape for plastic watermains (or whatever) there appears to be two types:

1.) Aluminum foil in a plastic sandwhich.

2.) Wires attached to a plastic ribbon.

With number #1 I assume one would have to use a non-ferious metal detector and place the tape near to the ground surface.

With #2 the tape should be placed near to the pipe and ensure that the continuity of the wires is maintained.

Can any kind person please share their experience re installation and use of marker tape(s).

Question such as does #1 come in a variety for ferious metal detectors?
With #2, what are the typical points used to connect a electronic line tracer to the marker tape (eg valve boxes etc.).

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No experience with those tapes.

I can tell you, though, that when I was a teenager, I had a cheapo metal detector from Radio Shack. I found that aluminum is VERY detectable. This was in the days of pull tabs and you could detect pull tabs better than any kind of coin with that thing.

We typically use 14 ga insulated wire taped to the pipe. The ends are brought up to the surface at valve boxes and hydrants.

With an appropriate locator, you can determine depth as well as surface location.

There are metallic tapes that can also be used similarly and are placed approx. 1 foot above the pipe; however, once these are broken, they probably won't be reconnected and their purpose is lost.

You can probably do a search on locators or talk to a local supplier of locators and see what other locals are using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back