Detention Pond Routing Spreadsheet Template

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Horowitz

Civil/Environmental
Jun 16, 2017
US
Good morning,

I am in search of a detention pond routing spreadsheet template, if anyone has one available or knows where I can download, for a detention pond with multiple outlet configurations that meter the discharge for various return events. I normally utilize Hydraflow Hydrographs and Hydrology Studio but I am working on a project where I need to determine the impact from a proposed development to an existing pond and the drainage report that I have for the existing detention pond includes calculations that suggest the pond was routed using a spreadsheet.

There is enough information within the drainage report for the existing drainage basins and detention pond to recreate the post-development conditions model in the software suites, but when I execute the model I receive an error message that solution cannot be determined for the 2-year storm. This would lead me to believe that either the pond is undersized or I my model is not correct. The existing detention pond was permitted and constructed almost ten years ago. I can't imagine the local City would approve a storm water system that was not sized adequately. Therefore, the only logical solution is that the models that I am using in my software are not representing the hydrologic conditions accurately. I am hoping that the detention pond routing spreadsheet would help remove some of the issues that I am having.

Thank you very much in advance, I hope everyone has a great day.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The only thing I can think of for a spreadsheet type of facility design is what I did back in college (a little while ago..haha) at NC State when I was in a hydrology class being taught by Dr H. Rooney Malcom, P.E. He had a procedure he developed called chainsaw routing. I believe a lot of the folks who got jobs in NC followed this procedure, but not sure if it is even being taught now or not as I know he passed away sometime ago. Plus, with all the advancements in using computer programs, it might be outdated now. I just use HydroCAD. Anyway, you can actually purchase his notes on Amazon to see how it was done. Look for "Elements of Urban Stormwater Design".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back