Deterioration of Joint Capability for Low Edge Distance Hole 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan_aero

Aerospace
Mar 6, 2020
US
Hey all,

Does anyone have a literature source discussing how rapidly composite (carbon fiber) joint capability deteriorates as a function of edge distance? I understand anything less than 2.5D runs the risk of undesirable failure modes occurring. I'm being asked to look at joint with e/D = 1.75 and the joint cannot be modified. I understand the only way to get good values for this is to test, but I'm interested in understanding "ballpark" knockdowns for a low edge distance hole such as this.

If you don't have a literate source, I'd still be interested to hear what others think a conservative knockdown would be for a low edge distance hole such as this (i.e. divide the bearing allowable by 2,4, etc.)

Thanks,
Ryan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You've hit the standard caveats...test...change in failure mode (i.e. shear-out)...etc.

Those stipulations aside, for a "ballpark understanding": CMH-17, Volume 1, Chapter 2 (section 2.3.5.5.4 in Rev. G) has a decent discussion on shear-out strength vs. "bearing" strength (bearing in quotes since that's not the actual mode of failure) as a function of e/D (data from 1.5, 1.9, and 2.5 shown).

A fair number of corporate stress manuals also have stuff like this...if you're at a company that has such a thing...

Here is a conservative estimate:
If protruding head fastener, draw straight line from bearing strength at e/d = 2.5 to 0.0 bearing strength at e/d = 0.5
If countersink fastener, draw straight line from bearing strength at e/d = 2.5 to 0.0 bearing strength at e/d = 1.0
Find bearing strength at e/d = 1.75 on the straight line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back