Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Determination of 3-Phase Power Distribution Transformers

Status
Not open for further replies.

superspider

Electrical
May 19, 2008
A2
Guys,

I have question regarding determination of 3-phase power distribution transformers rating for such a load.
For example if we had a load(motor) with 290HP (217kW) with 0.88 PF .
What I did,
S=217/0.88=247 kVA
and then we find any transformer rated close to this value say like 300 kVA

Is that the way suppose to be done or NOT?

Could you please correct me if am wrong??
thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To check your apparent power result, you can calculate the FLA to see if it matches nameplate on the motor : I = 247000 / (V * .88 * 1.73)

Your answer should be close. But I must say there are special considerations when sizing a transformer and motor feed. I would not recommend someone not familiar with the electric code attempt to do so. Otherwise you run the risk of undersizing conductors and overcurrent protection.

The calculation you suggest doesn't take into account the efficiency of the motor.

You should divide by that as well. It should be something like .85 more or less.

I agree that there are many other things to think about with a motor that size.

For sizing transformers based on connected motor horsepower, using an approximation of about 1 kVA/hp usually works out pretty well.

This factors in the efficiency and power factor of the motor. For very large medium-voltage motors, it becomes a bit overly conservative, but for low voltage motors, it generally keeps everyone happy.

However, this does not specifically address starting the motor. When the motor hp is a large fraction of the transformer rating, the motor starting method and acceptable voltage drop must also be considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back