Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Determination of composite Lay-Up properties 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexa2016

Mechanical
Sep 19, 2016
MY
Hi all,

I want to perform fea on composite lay-up using ansys apdl. The frp laminate is consisted of 4 layers of 0.3mm bi-directional frp fabric. The bi-rectional frp is layed-up for different angle at each layer. The arrangement is (0-90-45-135-0-90-45-135). The resin is applied at layer surface. The manufacturer provided properties for single bi-directional frp fabric as been supplied. The mechanical property of the resin also been supplied by manufacturer. How to determined the properties of completed frp laminate ? is it by tensile test ? or possible by using mathematical formulation?.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What properties do you need? You can have stiffness and strength for the laminate in each of the usual directions, which is a total of six numbers (tension & compression in X, Y and XY (shear)); you may also be interested in bending properties (another six). Combinations of these are also possible.

Classical lamination theory is the usual approach for calculations, but is not too accurate for strength (better than nothing, though). It's quite a project to write your own software for CLT (allow a few weeks), but is no great challenge with a good reference, but usually people buy in software or use an FE package (most FE packages have CLT built-in).

If you need accuracy then test is the only way forward (especially for strength, and especially for combinations of loading).

@RPstress,

Thanks for replying, sorry it is took very long time to reply, but you suggestions really helping me. For testing, which code related the testing of the ply properties?. I looked into ASTM D3039 guideline, it said the test piece should be in constant rectangular cross section, means that in 0-90 fiber direction (as far as i understand). In my work, after applying adhesive for 4 layers fabrics, the fiber direction is 0-90-45-135-0-90-45-135. Is there any specific code for multi angle ply composite? Thanks

What do you mean by "code"?? Analysis (software) code? Test method?

For the fabric, did the manufacturer provide dry fabric properties? or properties of fabric + resin (composite)?

What properties are you looking to obtain? moduli or strength? tensile? compressive? shear? other? Each will require a different test method. See ASTM D4762 for guidance on test method selection.

SW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back