Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Determination of gas volume coming from an orifice

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWF239

Chemical
Jul 10, 2015
US
So I am trying to determine the volume of a gas that has been put through a filter so I can do some calculations.

I randomly have the formula Density (lb/Ft[sup]3[/sup])* Volume (Ft[sup]3[/sup]/min) = 2.5985

But I am not sure where I got this from. The only things I know are what type of gas it is, the PSI that gas was flown through the filter, how long it was allowed to flow, and the diameter of the outlet. I could probably make an assumption about temperature if necessary. I am not looking for an exact number but being able to get something in the ball park of what it really is would be very useful.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

what you have there if you look at the units is 2.5985 lbs/minute.

That's all.

How or whether this applies to your filter - if you don't know how are we supposed to.

In the complete absence of any other information this is an impossible question to answer.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

I had found some formula online and solved for the 2.5985 but I did not write down what the entire formula was and now cannot find it. I used the things I said I have and maybe an assumption or two to get what I have. I was hoping the formula would be familiar to someone.

What else would I need to solve it? It seems like if you know what pressure something is flowing at, how big the hole it is flowing through is, and how long it is flowing that you should be able to come up with a pretty good guess of the volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back