Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Determination of Size of Drainage Area 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dynamics5

Civil/Environmental
May 30, 2010
US
I would like a rough idea of how the AREA of a drainage area for water flowing from a steep slope (2 to 1 ratio) would be calculated. Are there minimum area requirements that must be met for grading plans to be approved?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you asking how to delineate a drainage basin?

Certainly there are any number of things related to drainage that must be met for a grading plan to be approved.

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

The drainage shed is determined by finding the total tributary area that drains to the area in question. The slopes shouldn't be a factor in determining this area.

For large areas one might use the USGS topographic maps. You would investigate upstream areas and draw a line delineating one drainage shed from another. Imagine where a drop of water would drain, towards your area or away from, as an example.

A customary rule of thumb is the modified rational formula can be used for determining storm run offs for 200 acres or less. Larger areas use the unit hydrograph analysis.

In urbanized areas, you might need to do a fair amount of research of as builts to determine if storm water is intercepted before reaching your site, for example.

Hard to find them anymore. Used one to establish area-volume curves for High Ross Dam when it was being designed.

Haven't used one for 40 years now, but haven't forgotten how either. Kinda like riding a bike or using a slide rule.

Interesting how they can both add and subract, no?

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

bridgebuster: Proud to say I have run an earthwork on a 500+ acre project with one of those contraptions at the age of 26. I am now 33 and find it funny how many people can't even look at a topo map. I was always that person in the office trying to memorize everything the older guys would explain to me.

Funny how people would steal ipods in the Engineers' drawers, but there are all of these HP48GX's and other expensive equipment (Leroy) sitting around like nothing.

B+W Engineering and Design
Los Angeles Civil Engineer and Structural Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back