Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Determination of Valve Data, such as Hardness

Status
Not open for further replies.

yanyanxinshi

Mechanical
Jul 11, 2024
HK
Hello everyone, I am a newcomer and currently have a valve parameter requirement, mainly for gas (nitrogen) transmission.
My boss needs me to confirm some parameters of the pressure reducing valve (3000psi --> 100psi): the hardness of the valve core and seat? The mechanical properties of the pressure adjusting spring.
Is there anyone who can help me? Or tell me where I can find this data?
Thank you very much.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OP,
Start with valve make and model. Most modern valves have all the specific build information as part of the model number, but some do not. If it does not, contact the manufacture with the serial/build number and they should have record. Either way you need to find the material of construction of the core and seat. Once you have that, you can look up the material properties, i.e. hardness. If you have difficultly determining the exact material of construction, contact your local vendor for the valve and they should be able to provide it or direct you to where you need to look.
Same advice with the springs. They are normally color coated based on pressure range.

Depending on your company's original purchase requirements, you may find that it was required for main components to be supplied with material certification. Depending on the level of certification (3.1 or 3.2 or similar at the time of ordering), such certification will specify material grade, chemical composition and mechanical properties of the actual part(s). If you did not specify or have not got, revert back to the vendor as Heaviside1925 advises.

*** Per ISO-4126, the generic term
'Safety Valve' is used regardless of application or design ***

*** 'Pressure-relief Valve' is the equivalent ASME/API term ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back