Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Determine assembly geometry properties, num of faces, etc. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOPdesigner

Mechanical
Nov 15, 2005
US
I have an assembly in IV 2010 and I am trying to get an idea of how large "heavy" it is by showing the properties of the assembly like number of components, number of faces(total of all components) etc. I can't seem to find a menu selection to do this. Is there a way? For example to window box my assembly with a face selection filter on and have it give me a total face count for the assembly?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can't do a face count as far as I know.

What do you mean by heavy, projected drag area, mass.. there may be another way to achieve the same end result.

Is there a way?
There is a way, but I have to wonder what you would do with that information if you knew it?

You might look into Shrinkwrap.

To get the number of faces save as STEP.
Open into Construction Environment.
Unstitch solid(s).

I want this information to compare the size of one assembly to another as far as geometry complexity is concerned. For example, If I have assembly A with 100 components which are simple geometry, and another assembly B with 10 components which are of highly complex/detailed geometry, which one takes a greater toll on graphics performance, drawing view creation, etc? I would submit the more complex one, even though it has less components.

I think we have different definitions of 'way'..

Anyway, why not just monitor your memory usage when you have the components open?

Don't people normally use this information to submit files of smaller size, not larger?..

You can get a number on faces and components in a design.

You can use the AEC Exchange Environment's Check Design tool to see how many faces and edges you would have. It is a nice trick to see this upfront.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back