Determine Centifugal Compressor Torque

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesDUK

Mechanical
Dec 10, 2002
GB
Hello,
If I have a compressor with known speed and gas power required, can I simply use those two parameters to calculate the torque required. I.e. Torque = power/angular velocity.
Can I further use the fan laws to calculate the power and therefore the torque at lower speeds which would give me an (inaccurate) estimation of the start-up torque of the compressor?
Query relates to a problem motor starting torque with a 7.9MW motor driven compressor, my electrical mates have worked out the motor available torque. There is also a 10:1 gearbox in the string.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In answer to my own question (i've been swotting up).
Calculating the torque by this method is correct but cannot be used to give an accurate start-up curve because it is based on rated conditions. However during start-up the system may have been partially or fully blown down, regardless the compressor will be started on recycle so the 100% speed power will be the recycle power.

If anyone has got anything else to add or knows any programs avaiable to verify vendor produced curves I'd much appreciate it.

Assuming this is a centrifugal machine, the theoretical torque demand is proportional to the square of the speed (rpm). However, theory doesn't apply from say 0 to 25% speed - there is a "stiction" effect to overcome - you need to get the rotor moving. The vendor torque-speed curve should look something like a tick mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back