Determine the Body Heat Flux due to cement hydration for mass concrete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eng.UGM

Student
Nov 7, 2023
ID
Hi,
I am conducting thermal analysis for the mass concrete section (Pier head), and need to ask about how to determine the accurate body heat flux that is produced by cement hydration. I used the following equation to get the approximate heat of hydration of cement (in Kj /Kg). However, the BHF unit as required in the analysis software is (Joule/second. cubic meter)

Screenshot_2023-11-08_130015_l8jiiz.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What are the character variables?

One of the problems is trying to keep the mix cool... Cass Booy (one of my profs) told the class that when part of the South Saskatchewan Control Structure was 'cast' (real mass concrete project) they used chopped ice to help keep the mix cool. Another part of the study requires understanding how heat leaves... stress caused by thermal differences can be a problem. Thermocouples have to be used and monitored. Another 5'x9' transfer girder I did was 'throwing off' heat for nearly 2 weeks. This was done 40 years ago, prior to the common use of thermocouple monitoring. I've provided insulation for mass concrete where the concrete can take the thermal load, but if the outside cools too fast, problems can develop.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Actually, in my case, the mass concrete section is already placed and we have thermal data but I need to make a model in ABAQUS to conduct thermal analysis. Thus, I have thermal data from the field and the analysis so I can validate my model and then use my thermal data from the analysis to conduct mechanical analysis to get the stress field. But still do not know how to determine the BHF ? Can you help in this part?

Sorry, I can not... I'm totally unfamiliar with ABAQUS. I don't know the thermal characteristics of your model and I don't know what restraints it has on it's boundary. Maybe someone else can assist.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back