Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Determine the Response Spectrum 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okiryu

Civil/Environmental
Sep 13, 2013
JP
Hi, I understand that the construction of the response spectrum is based on Section 11.4.5 of ASCE 7-10 and based on the MCEr.

My question is: can I construct a response spectrum using the same considerations from Section 11.4.5 of ASCE 7-10 but using a different ground motion to the MCEr?

For example, the MCEr is the ground motion having a 2% probability of exceedance for 50 years (2,475-year return period).

But I want to construct a response spectrum using a ground motion with 10% probability of exceedance for 50 years. Can I use the parameters of this ground motion and the guidelines outlines in Section 11.4.5 of ASCE 7-20 to construct a response spectrum?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think yes. You might find more information in FEMA 356, Prestandard and Commentary for the Seismic Rehabilitation of Existing Buildings. I think it develops response spectrums for 10% in 50 years.

Also, You might want to try the USGS Tool with ASCE 41 and BSE-1E (20% in 50 yrs) or BSE-2E (5% in 50 yrs) Hazard Levels to see these response spectrums. The advanced report has information on how the response spectrum is derived.

wannabeSE, thanks for the response.

I was looking at ASCE 41-13 and found a general equation for constructing the response spectrum. See attached. Sorry, I did not mention that I have the Ss and S1 parameters for my hazard (10% probability of exceedance for 50 years). So, I think that since I have the correct Ss and S1 parameters, I will be able to use the ASCE 41-13 equations.

Looks like the guidelines from ASCE 7-10 applies only for the MCEr hazard. But, I found that the response spectrum based on the MCEr (2% in 50 years) is almost the same to the response spectrum for 10% probability of exceedance for 50 years for some regions in the US (western US).

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=9dea1cfa-9e89-4cd1-a9c9-a819e26d745c&file=ASCE_-_SEI_41-13_-_Section_2.4.1.7_-_General_Response_Spectrum.pdf
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back