Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Determining strength parameters, literature recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpk72

Civil/Environmental
Jul 3, 2006
US
Hello,

One of the most challenging issues for me is establishing strength parameters for soil, particularly when the data comes from different lab tests conducted over a span of many years.

Can anyone recommend any good literature/ text books on developing soil profiles or determining parameters?

Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I say start with Joseph Bowles "Foundation Analysis and Design", chapter 3 to get yourself acquainted with the tests & how they obtain "strength parameters" (qu & phi for cohesive & grannular soils, respectively).

You could also try the old Naval Facilities Engineering Command Design Manuals (NAVFAC manuals) which can be found online (I think vulcanhammer is the site that comes to mind?)

DM-7.01: Soil Mechanics
DM-7.02: Foundations & Earth Structures

These have good (and simple) correlation charts that can extrapolate qu or phi depending on various in-situ tests.

Hope that helps

A friend gave me (most definitely a fantastic birthday present) his copy of Hunt's book, Geotechnical Engineering Investigation Manual. I strongly urge all to have a look at it. Very thorough and full of information - and information the OP is looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back