Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Determining the orientation of a forged ASTM A350 Grade LF2 Class 1 Flange

Status
Not open for further replies.

jexton

Marine/Ocean
Sep 4, 2019
GB
I require some supplementary impact testing to be carried out as per ASTM A350 S5 (Special Impact Test Requirement for Flanges) on some stock flanges we have purchased.

As per the specification, the orientation of the test specimens is to be stated, however according to the test house this cannot be stated unless we are clear as to the orientation that the flange was manufactured. I may be wrong but I cannot determine the orientation of the flange from the material certificate and it is a stretch to approach the original flange manufacturer to ask the question.

Is there a 'standard' way of forging this type of valve therefore revealing the orientation it was manufactured?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If this is a ring-rolled flange, the direction is obviously circumferential. If it is forged, metal flow is normally parallel to axial length. You could test both directions, the one with higher impact often parallel to direction of major working. Also, you could look at the grain structure, you might still see grain flow.

Examination of the microstructure should easily reveal the orientation of the flange as it was manufactured. Just look at the flow lines.

Maui

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back