Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Develop and size electrical details for a switchboard to incorporate Microgrid DERs

Status
Not open for further replies.

budhiman

Electrical
Jan 26, 2016
US
Hello All,

I am working on my first electrical design project which entails to size breaker, wire, conduit, grounding, etc. In the project, I need to design an electrical layout to have a switchboard which will have DERs (solar, Battery, and windmill) along with utility *& conventional generator as sources feeding facility loads. This is will be for an existing facility. Currently, I have been referencing NEC (specifically Art 705, 310, 240, etc), and EC&M articles to understand it. I was wondering if anyone has a pdf or good article or book reference which I can use to read to get myself more familiar with design ans a squick reference. I know NEC is the first book reference but sometimes finding the right section and understanding the language in it can be not that obvious. So ask if anyone has a cheat sheet developed to read or any white papers to help with design for someone beginning to get involved in design projects.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Switchboard manufacturers with microgrid experience typically offer application and design engineering services can help you with this. I suggest you contact one of them. Several of them will provide the switchboard and microgrid control system as a package, with controls programming and commissioning as part of the bundle. Disclosure: I work for one of those manufacturers, but I'm pretty sure I've never mentioned which as I am not trying to advertise.

By the way, windmills grind grain; wind turbine generators produce electricity.

xnuke
"Live and act within the limit of your knowledge and keep expanding it to the limit of your life." Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back