Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Development Lenghts 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcploks

Civil/Environmental
Feb 3, 2012
PH
Sirs,

Good Morning!

Regarding development lengths, is it okay to ignore ldh for hooked bars but still hook it and let it equal to Ld for straight bars?

For more details please see attachment

Thank You in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have seen this detail in many drawings in India and but it seems research done shows that the extension of the tail is not beneficial. If you follow ACI provisions, then what you have said is not allowed.

It’s no trick to get the answers when you have all the data. The trick is to get the answers when you only have half the data and half that is wrong and you don’t know which half - LORD KELVIN

No. The stress profile along the bar and the mode of failure between straight and bent bars is different. That's why they have different requirements.

That seems counterintuitive.

If it requires an Ld to develop a straight bar, then if you have the same length of straight bar and put a bend in it, one would think it would be at least as strong.

The only reason that I can think of is that the bar is 'pulling away' from the concrete at the outside of the radius... but, then it's pushing against the inside of the radius.

Can anyone explain why it would not be as strong?

Dik

The failure is partly due to the compressive stress failure (crushing) at the bend. I think the MacGregor text book has a fairly detailed explanation.

If you want to develop extra bar development over that which a standard cog allows, you have to design the cog for it. The radius of the bend must be increased to reduce the compression/bearing stresses in the bend and then the bonus you get from the cog is lost and the bar is treated as a normal bar for development. BS8110 and I thing Eurocode 2 give design methods for this. The increase in capacity is dependant on the radius of the curve in the cog.

The dimensions in the hook and lap tables are intended to provide full capacities in all cases where coverage requirements are met, subject to stated limitations of course. There is not enough information in the posted detail to ensure that.

Take the extreme case in the detail. If you ignore ldh entirely you have the potential for the hook to be turned down immediately after the bar passes the face of the support. That can't work and would result in minimum coverage and the hook pulling through the face of the support and possibly from the face of the beam before reaching full capacity. This would also happen with thin walls and columns where ldh could not be observed.

I could see the detail working in some scenarios. Perhaps where there was supplemental reinforcement under the hook or where a reasonable ldh was "unofficially" observed.

CAB... generally have a horizontal bar between the hook and the concrete face that precludes 'breakout'... does that have an impact on the Ldh value?

Dik

Dik,

I assume that question was for me.

BS8110 has a formula for bearing stress in the curve which is dependant on the radius and the force in the bar in clause 3.12.8.25.2. You can rearrange the formula to give a minimum radius for the amount of development of the bar required.

AS3600 says that the bar can be considered to develop stress around a curve (ignore cog benefit and treat it as a normal length of bar) if the radius of the bend is greater than 10 times the bar diameter. But really this should be related to concrete strength etc as BS8110 does.

AS3600 says that the bar can be considered to develop stress around a curve (ignore cog benefit and treat it as a normal length of bar) if the radius of the bend is greater than 10 times the bar diameter. But really this should be related to concrete strength etc as BS8110 does.

On the list for the next revision?

Doug Jenkins
Interactive Design Services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back