Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Development Length of bars in compression 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbTheBuilder

Structural
Aug 18, 2021
US
thread1419-228424

It is the year 2021 and I was having this discussion with my supervisor yesterday [kindly refer to link-Development Length of bars in compression]. I mentioned RISA foundation was notifying us of the development of an 18" thick foot and he mentioned he hasn't seen/heard any development a rebar for compression since concrete is "adequate" for compression. I wanted to print out copies of both threads made by JoshPlumSE but I know he's going to reject and ask for concrete (no pun intended) literature/article/publication explaining why it ought to be done and kind of failures expected when not developed. Can anyone recommend any literature, book, or article from any association.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's good to know that the issues I struggled with 10 years ago, are still perplexing other engineers today!

I can't point you towards any specific article on the subject. The best I can do is point you towards to items mentioned in the threads:
a) The PCA notes example which I don't have anymore (because I didn't have a personal copy I could take with me when I left RISA).
b) The code reference section 25.4.1.2: "Hooks and head shall not be used to develop bars in compression"
c) The code reference section 25.4.9: Development of deformed bars and wires in compression. Which has the reduction for As_requird/As_provided.

That being said, if it's his stamp, and he thinks it's okay to make it 18" then that's his call. For "programming" structural design, we try to follow the code provisions as closely and accurately as possible. But, there are code provisions that sometimes don't make a lot of sense to practicing engineers. While I may not make the same call, I'm not going to get on a soap box and call him out for thinking differently than I do.

@JoshPlumSE-I was able to get the portion of PCA on the foundation design, I read the ACI 318-14&19 on the development of rebars in compression, and the reduction clause as well. I think his main concern was that they haven't seen that in any calculation nor Risa foundation before as they often use 30" thick pad (industrial structures). However, I decided to use 18" thick pad for a bent since it just a single story and doesn't carry much load.

I thought using the reduction clause in ACI to get it to work but since he would be stamping, I'd do it with what he'll be comfortable with. I've currently placed this on my list to do more research on it. Hopefully, I will find something on it. I understand the programming part, did a "little" programming in MATLAB for my thesis and research. Thank you very much!

[By the way, you're doing an amazing job. I have seen you and a couple of engineers being interactive here and I have been aspired a lot!]

Thanks for the kind words....

I have a ton of respect of regular engineers and how difficult their jobs can be.... I've some years of real engineering under my belt, after all!

It is so important for us in the software industry to really listen to engineers about what they do, and how we can help them do it better or faster. And, on a personal level, I love talking to and learning from engineers.... So, I'm glad that comes across.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back