Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Development of program

Status
Not open for further replies.

shearlag

Apr 13, 2007
IN
I do not know whether I am posting my concerns in the right forum or not. I am a aircraft structural engineer. I always encounter new or updated loads on wings from aerodynamics.I generally use excel and convert these loads into FE nodal loads.Now I want to write a generalised program for nodal load computation. I want back end computations and fore end inputs as well. What language/ software like python,Fortran, javanet ,visualc++.....etc...can be used to program efficiently .
Thanks in advance.
Shearlag

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

you have series of text files to read and then write. You don't need a fancy gui, and you don't need computational efficiency.

As such a modern language may be rather over the top, if you don't like Excel for whatever reason then personally of the others I'd steer clear of Fortran as it is a bit finnicky about file formats, so matlab, octave, python, scilab would be my choice. It's a very simple problem, back in the day qbasic would have been my choice.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Excel is ubiquitous and a tool that can be adapted to a great variety of needs. If you're comfortable with it, the go for it. Your application may be able to be designed to use practically all VBA or no VBA. But design it with careful thought. I like to think in terms of a generalized application whenever practical.

Post back for help or advice when needed.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

Thanks all for your valuable suggestions. Yes I have heard of qbasic recently.Most of you are suggesting Excel in association with VBA. Probabaly I need to use Excel in a more efficient way .

Please explain how you're currently using Excel and your ideas for making it a generalized application.

Skip,
[sub]

If you're committed to developing in Excel VBA, you might consider posting in forum766.

Skip,
[sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back