Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dewar Conversion, LN2 to Liq Methane

Status
Not open for further replies.

TangoCleveland

Mechanical
Jun 28, 2002
US
Aside from the obvious flammability issues, are there any tricks to converting mobile dewars of 500 to 4000 gallon capacity from liquid nitrogen to liquid methane service? Dewar pressures are around 50 psig.

Larry

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would want to have an inert purge capability for the transfer and vent plumbing. Oh, and a good ground. Also, any electric gear nearby needs to be explosion proof. Other than that, the LN2 hardware should work.

claybo, thanks for the comment about explosion proof. I already looked at pressure relief, and we'll need about 35% more capacity for CH4 compared to LN2. The dewars we use here are DOT compliant, Code stamped, or Code equivalent for pressures up to 270 psig, complete with pressure regulation, relief and vent systems, and vacuum jacket insulated. They are transported on dedicated truck trailers. Our commodities are LN2, LOX, LAR, and Liquid Hydrogen. We need to convert some to liquid methane (essentially LNG) service for research. We're hesitating to convert LH2 dewars because of differences in weight of fluids, but LN2 should be an easy switch once we recalculate relief capacity and add vent/purge tubing.

I was wondering if there might be any material compatibility issues. Do the mercaptans in the methane odorant provide enough sulfur to attack stainless steel? The inner vessel of all the dewars is stainless.

Larry

The only thing I know is that H2 causes embrittlement in 17-4 PH stainless. 304 and 316 shouldnt be a problem, but I don't know anything about mercaptans. Also, why can't you just sub-cool the liquid and transport at a lower pressure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back