Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Dewatering DAF float sludge using a belt filter press 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johannes

Civil/Environmental
Oct 22, 2002
AU
I am undertaking an options study for dewatering of DAF float sludge produced at an abbotoir WWTP. Approximately 80m3 of sludge is produced per day which is currently disposed of to land.

I am interested to know what effluent characteristics need to be determined for the specification of a belt filter press i.e. water content? specific gravity? concentration of fat/grease? partical distribution? The DAF plant utilises a polymer to assist flocculation so would additional polymer be required in the dewatering process?.

Is it recommended that an onsite pilot-scale test for the belt filter press treatment should be carried out, and when should this be done.

Finally, what other proven dewatering technologies are available for dewatering DAF float sludge?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear Johannes,

Belt presses are expensive to purchase, maintain and operate. However, they will consistantly press sludge to 21% solids. Your first step is having the belt press rep conduct a feasibility study, based upon the polymer chosen by the water treatment chemical sales person. Keep in mind they are all going to try to maximize $ and profits.

If you have wasteheat available onsite you should try using the wasteheat in a heated dryer.

For drying sludge see:

Todd

Johannes:

I would agree with oxilume, only substitute "ENGINEER" at every location where he says "PRESS REP".....Get an unbiased engineer experienced in solids management and can PROVE it to you. And have your engineer test a few technoligies, as sliderule alluded to, there are other technoloigies out there.....

You are right in your thinking that this is a big step which will have vast operations and maintenance issues in the future depending on which direction you select....

Let us know how you make out...

BobPE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back