Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dezincification of brass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daspferd88

Mechanical
May 3, 2016
US
I have a brass component showing signs of corrosion, namely dark reddish/brown spots splattered on it. It's my understanding that this could be signs of dezincification, caused by exposure to water, acid, or salt. Now, I've also seen a greenish/turquoise corrosion on brass as well which I've read is copper sulfates/carbonates as a result of copper oxidation. My question: is the green corrosion simply a later stage of dezincification, i.e. after all the zinc has been selectively leached away, the copper is the next element to react? Or is this type of corrosion simply the result of exposure to different types of chemicals that cause the copper to react and not the zinc?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Depending on the alloy and environment you may get multiple stages, or it may just dealloy.
More details would help.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Once the zinc has been leached away the material will crumble; If you have brass components in a system, it is good to install sacrificial zinc anodes to help defray this kind of corrosion. Are you in a salt water environment?
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back