Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dft update

Status
Not open for further replies.

kthant

Mechanical
Jun 28, 2007
CA
Hello

Direct to problem :)

I have a big dft file generated from a big asm . i change some things in assembly and now i have to to wait a long time to update the dft .
I'm wondering if is possible to choose which part from my assembly will be update or not in dft or in general.

Thx all
A good day !!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No, the whole drawing has to be updated - how else would SE determine what to show in your drawing.
How many parts is the assembly, what is your system spec and how long is it taking?
A multicore processor WILL help with drawing updates.
If this is a regular thing, you might want to consider 64-bit SE and 64-bit Windows, as this would let you use more than 3GB ram.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

BC

I'm running 32bit and after boot and logging in free
available RAM is approx. 3,43GB out of 4GB. The remaining
RAM is used by the system. What an application 'sees'
and deals with is the address space (VM) which by
default is approx. 1.96GB and can be expanded to
appraox. 2.96GB (both value may vary due to the
used graphic card
Using 4GB RAM then on some boxes it might be neccessary
to change a BIOS setting so that it gets recognized, on
some bocxes it's not possible at all. RAM will be
managed by the OS not by the application. The more RAM
the lesser the chance of high paging rates.

dy

From experience...

While too late if they're already put down, consider low quality draft views in future, it's an option when you initially make a view. It has some limits but you can change draft views to high quality views if these limits cause problems.

You can update only one view at a time, right click on a view and 'update', one individual view updates a lot quicker than doing all at onee. This is less likely to crash SE even if not faster overall. Also if you're only working on a specific view you can just update the view and not update the rest till you're done with all changes.

The 64 bit with more RAM is a massive help for us, we have something like 16 GB RAM and it allows us to do drawings of assemblies with thousands of parts. However, if we have a lot of high quality views it's still painfull.

Also in V20 they introduced zones or something like that which may have application for you, we're stuck on 19.

Beach, maybe you know something I don't but the multicore doesn't help that much from what I've seen.

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at posting policies:

Hello

Mz computer is not so bad I have 4gb . I'm working on server maybe i have some network speed problems.
btw Kenat in 20 I think you can not create dft from zones will create entire assembly not only a specific area from assembly.

Thx All

And a very good day !!!

Zones may be the wrong term, there was something about inactive views or some such as I recall, but I could be wrong.

Network speed may be an issue. This is something else we've improved on a couple of CAD stations here. We've had Gig connections set up for them.

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at posting policies:

Kenat,
Multi-core does help with drawing view production.
You don't really notice it on small stuff, but we did drawings of assemblies with 25K parts and regularly saw all 4 cores at 100% during the updates. Remember that although SE is not really multi-threaded, Parasolid is, so some operations in SE can make use of the other cores.
Mind you, we did reduce the data to process by various means.
One way we used was to set up the view orientation and then 'select visible parts', then 'show only', and save it as a view configuration.
This will get rid of all the hidden stuff and make view processing much quicker.
However, if you add/remove parts to the assembly you should re-save the config as required.
You might also want to look at simplified parts, zones, model views.
Our network was gigabit, but even so it was much quicker with fewer users. Sometimes I would wait until late in the day when some users had gone home before I did the big stuff.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Beach, I was doing it late at night when no one else was on the network for similar reasons.

I did check out the processor use and it only seemed to occasionally peak on more than one, maybe I wasn't looking close enough.

We created one configuration of only external parts but your idea of creating the for each required orientation may have helped.

Ken

KENAT,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back